The ability to back up your configuration to a file- that could be saved/emailed/uploaded/etc....would make re-installations (or even NEW installations on a new tablet) much easier. Even with the extra attention paid to getting those API keys in there, soooo many other places for me to make errors. The ability to import a config file and have NZB360 ready to go, would all-but-ensure it's the FIRST app to go onto my new tablet at Christmas-time...which it already was this year anyway, but I surely didn't look forward to getting everything set up.
There is already a backup feature. The file is stored in data/NZB 360/backups on your primary filesystem (usually sdcard0). You could use something like FolderSync to sync that file with the cloud for the time being.
It would be a nice PRO feature to have a option to backup a compressed encrypted* version of the config file on the nzb360 server. Than have a option to restore or sync between devices.

*user password or user keyword plus added slat
coreeons wrote:It would be a nice PRO feature to have a option to backup a compressed encrypted* version of the config file on the nzb360 server. Than have a option to restore or sync between devices.

*user password or user keyword plus added slat
I thought about this. I would love to add this. I just want to really research the best way to accomplish it. Encryption would be key. I don't want to be responsible having access to people's server data. I very much respect your privacy and security.
Agree it would need a strong encryption for this to be anything I would feel save on using. Or even looking at using the apis for dropbox. And at the very least have a import and export option that could be used to send out through other apps like gmail, drive, dropbox, ...

But I like the idea as a PRO feature if it was all being automated in the background, with toggle option for it too.
I think it's best to let the user decide how he wants to secure his backup file. It's not the developers responsibility. Do you know of any other app that spits out encrypted backup files ? NZB360 should just create the backup file and the user must decide if and how he wants to encrypt/upload it.

This way nobody will complain about the encryption used. People who know what they are doing are able to choose the encryption algorithms that they prefer. And they can keep them stored on the medium they prefer, be it a encrypted HDD or their cloud service.

And..not everybody feels the need for an encrypted backup. I for example do not have any NN providers setup in NZB360 so I'm not worried about someone stealing those credentials. I don't have any authentication setup for the services because they are not opened up to the WWW. I have local access, and remote via VPN. Much safer than opening up untested software (security wise) to the internet.

If you're worried about someone stealing your (plain text) backup file, look at it this way:

If someone has access to your device or cloud or NAS or whatever medium you stored it on, I think NZB360/NN should be the least of your worries..... :)

That said, Android already offers the option to encrypt your internal AND external storage but that's only active when the device is turned off.

If you feel your backup file has been compromised, simply generating new API keys and credentials will suffice.